Sunday, February 17, 2013

Twisted Oreo Truffles: Dark Chocolate Caramel


My creation: Dark Chocolate Caramel Golden Oreo Truffles.
Disclaimers: this will not be a typical chicken post.  Majority of my blog revolves around my birds, recipe modifications for my birds and events that involve chickens.  Not today.  This blog post is pure, selfish indulgence.  This recipe that follows is not healthy.  It isn't intended to be low fat, organic, or homegrown.  It’s sugary sweet, rich, delicious decadence that if you – like me – have a weakness you’ll admit to, will permit yourself every now and again.  If you’d like to judge me, feel free.  I’ll just sit here with my truffle while you ride that high horse of yours.  I hope you enjoy your nosebleed while I enjoy my chocolate bliss.

I've heard of Oreo Truffles before.  I believe I've even had them a few years back.  I liked them.  Who wouldn't?  Chocolate, cream cheese, Oreo cookies; a dream combination.  Couldn't get any better, could it?  There, we both stand corrected, my friend.

Key Players: Golden Oreo Cookies and
Philadelphia Indulgence Dulce de Leche Cream Cheese.
These days everything comes in at least 26 assorted sizes and flavors, give or take.  For instance, Oreo cookies: original, golden, golden chocolate cream stuffed, triple double chocolate, chocolate berry burst ice cream, peanut butter, mint, cool mint (different how?) springtime (what does springtime taste like?), heads or tails, several kinds of cakesters and double stuffs and probably a half dozen more at the time of this post.
Philadelphia Cream Cheese is wonderful in its original flavor and a bunch of savory flavors great for bagels and other cooking matters, but then comes in tempting Indulgence flavors of: milk chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate, cinnamon, and dulce de leche.

OH STOP!

You see where I’m going with this, don’t you?  Of course I’m going to mix things up.  Wouldn't you? 
Here is how you make original Oreo Truffles:

  • 36 Oreo Cookies, finely crushed
  • 8 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 16 oz Baker’s brand chocolate, melted

  1. Combine crushed cookies and softened cream cheese together in a bowl until blended.  
  2. Shape into 48 balls, approx 1” in shape (1/2" if you prefer a smaller treat), and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.   
  3. Freeze for 1 hour until firm.  
  4. Melt chocolate. (use your preferred method)  
  5. Dip cookie balls in melted chocolate and place back on lined cookie sheet.  
  6. Place back in freezer for 1 hour.  
  7. Store in refrigerator until eaten…which won’t be long

Mixing it Up.
Ready for the Freezer.
They are pretty uncomplicated to make.  You crush the cookies, creme and all.  You will see that the only chain in the photographic sequence that is missing is the dipping.  Anyone who has worked with warm chocolate knows that you have a window of time before it starts to set.  Baker's brand chocolate is wonderful for dipping and almost immediately creates a magic shell like quality, which prevented me from taking a moment to stop and snap any photos.  My  "after" shots with them lining the cookie sheet will have to do until you try this for yourself.

Freshly Dipped!
My twist today?  I used Golden Oreo Cookies, Baker’s Chocolate and Philadelphia Indulgence Dulce de Leche Caramel Cream Cheese.  The end result?  Think Dark Chocolate Caramel Truffle.  I only wish I would have thought to sprinkle a bit of sea salt on top.  

Adorable Evie loves Aunt Tina's candy!
My family enjoys them so far.  Even my niece Evie loves them.  She is really big into sharing.  She let her momma have two small bites before she stuck the whole truffle in her mouth.  I’d say that’s a pretty strong endorsement!

Next time I think I might try Mint Oreo Cookies, White Baker’s Chocolate and Philadelphia Indulgence white chocolate cream cheese.  Or maybe Peanut Butter Oreo Cookies, Baker’s Chocolate and Philadelphia Indulgence milk chocolate cream cheese: ala peanut butter cup.  What do you think? 

3 comments:

  1. That is a precious face right there! These look dangerous....must....not....give....in.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving this. I'm not a lover of Oreo's but Pecan Sandies are another story...hmmm wheels turning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! My pants just got a wee bit tighter looking at those - yes, I'm with you - every once in a while one must indulge. Thanks for sharing that yummy recipe and the cute photos of Adorable Evie!

    ReplyDelete