|Look at all those little goodies inside just|
waiting for the chickens to peck them out!
|from my original Pumpkin Muffin recipie:|
muffin for humans (Right), muffin for chickens (Left)
Harvest Delight™ Poultry Treat is a great way to reward your flock! With whole grains and real fruits and vegetables, you can provide a treat year-round that contains the goodness of a spring garden! And with peanuts, flax, sunflower seeds and your specially-formulated nutrition pellets, you’re also getting added protein, vitamins and minerals. At Manna Pro, we understand that animals are our companions as well as our providers. So whether you raise blue-ribbon show birds or you simply enjoy the eggs and entertainment from your backyard flock, treat your feathered friends with wholesome and delicious Harvest Delight.
- Wholesome and delicious!
- Whole grains, peanuts, carrots, tomatoes, raisins, flaxseed, sunflower seeds and more!
- Perfect for treating your flock!
|my own shot of some of the delectables for your chickens inside Harvest Delight Poultry Treat by Manna Pro|
Thus, this recipe modification was born:
Pumpkin-Apple Harvest Delight Muffins
- 1 c. all purpose flour
- 3/4 c. cornmeal
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2.c old fashioned oats
- 1/2 c. wheat germ with flax seed
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/4 c. pumpkin
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 c. applesauce (natural, no sugar added)
- 2 c. Manna Pro Harvest Delight Poultry Treat
|Dry Ingredients + Pumpkin + Applesauce + Egg|
|All Mixed Up|
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, oats, wheat germ and nutmeg until blended.
- In a medium bowl, combine the lightly beaten eggs, pumpkin and applesauce. Mix together until blended.
- Add wet and dry ingredients together and mix well.
- Stir the Manna Pro Harvest Delight Poultry Treat into the well mixed batter.
- Spray muffin tins with a light spray of non-stick cooking spray. (or line with liners if you choose, but I haven't been. They don't mind the slightly chewy bottoms and lets face it...peeling off that paper only slows you down when you've got beggars at your feet!)
- Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full of batter.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until muffins are a beautiful golden (somewhat orange) brown and they pass the "toothpick test".
|Read, Set, Bake!|
Flash forward to 05:40 am when school is canceled due to an ice and snow storm, you'd find me pouting in bed. I had my heart set on so much that day with the event and so many people had worked hard to pull it all together. I knew it would be rescheduled, but I couldn't deny myself a childish moment of sulking.
Flash forward to 07:00 am when I finally brave the elements and slip slide my way to the chicken coop to do chores. The wind is still whipping pretty fiercely out here, so I decide to keep the girls on lock down a bit longer until the storm subsides and they look at me with (almost) narrowed eyes as I don't pop open the coop door to the run. Bad momma! Then, a crinkling sound from the depths of my deep winter jacket pockets shake them from their tantrum. I have brought them muffins and I have been redeemed. Good momma. This pleases them and they coo excitedly, forgetting that they have been denied the going's on of the outside world for a bit longer.
I will again make another batch of muffins the night before the rescheduled event to gift to Rick's chickens, because these were a massive hit with my girls. Without a doubt, they preferred this over the original pumpkin muffin recipe and it has to be because of all the wonderful surprises hidden inside each muffin, thanks to Manna Pro Harvest Delight Poultry Treat!
...If this keeps up, my chickens are going to need their own recipe box...